There are some places in Maharashtra, where you will feel blessed. One such place is Kaas Plateau, Satara. This "Out of the world" place deserves to be visited atleast once every year from 25th Aug to 10th Oct to witness not only the amazing array of wild flowers, but also the serene atmosphere that mesmerizes one's soul.....
However, not many know that a similar (though, probably not as majestic as the Himalayan site) place exists in
The lateritic plateau of Kaas becomes home to millions of tiny flowers in late monsoons. The whole spectacle is beyond words. More than 400 varieties of wild flowers, herbs, orchids, shrubs, insectivorous plants etc. can be seen here in Aug and Sep (Best time is 15th Aug to 15th Oct)….. This plateau overlooks the lush evergreen forests that serves as a water catchment area of Koyna Dam and which is recently declared as “Sahyadri Tiger reserve” ……….
In monsoon the whole area transforms into an unbelievable carpets of flowers like yellow carpets of Smithia and Sonki flowers, Pink carpets of Balsam, Purple carpets of Karvi etc….
The place is also rich in minerals and you can see the red patches of laterite rocks typically called ‘Sadaa’ in Marathi.
From the parking space, the waterfalls are a few minutes walk, through well wooded countryside. The falls are situated in a steep U shaped valley, with the main falls at the apex of the 'U' and smaller falls on one side of the 'U'. On the other side, a viewing platform has been created for observers to enjoy this wonderful display of nature.
You can see a video clip of this marvelous waterfall.
Bird Life: Kaas plateau and the surrounding area has a very good birdlife with good sightings of Crested Buntings, Malabar Crested Larks, Oriental White-eyes, Bonelli’s Eagle. It is a heaven for Macro photography too.
Though the trip will be focused on watching the flora and to learn more about them, we would also not miss the other fauna such as birds, butterflies and amphibians that are found in plenty there….
Batch 4: 23rd Sept, 2011 morning 6.30 am to 25th Sept, 2011 eve 8.30 pm (Friday to Sunday)
Batch 5: 30th Sept, 2011 morning 6.30 am to 02nd Oct, 2011 eve 8.30 pm (Friday to Sunday)
Resource persons: Mr.Adesh Shivkar & Mr.Mandar Khadilkar
Mode of Travel : By Minibus (considering the extensive travel to cover the area and also the to and fro travel from Hotel to the Plateau everyday)
Rough Iterinary: (Batch 4 & 5)
1) Friday (Day 1): Depart to Kaas (20 kms from Satara) from Bandra (E) at 6.30 am…..reach by around 1.00 pm- Check in Hotel – Lunch – proceed to the Plateau and the Ghat to watch the species that grow on the slopes – return back at 7 pm
2) Saturday (Day 2): Start early morning to the plateau to experience the grandeur of floral carpets on the plateau– return for lunch and proceed to Thoseghar Waterfalls to enjoy the grandeur of monsoon.
3) Sunday (Day 3): Start early for a visit to the plateau, watching flowers on the way….Flora watch at Kaas Plateau & Kaas Lake.....Return to Hotel at 12 pm – Lunch – Checkout and depart for Mumbai – reach Bandra(E) by 9.00 pm.
Trip Charges: Rs.4600/-
Includes Stay at Hotel Hem Executive in Satara on a twin sharing basis in Non AC rooms, Travel by minibus , Park entry charges if any, veg / Non- veg meals, Articles on Kass and Wild flowers, expert guidance charges & on board snacks and Mineral water…….This does not include any charges other then the above.
Mode of Payment
Payment: You can either
Name: Mr.Mandar Khadilkar
Address: B-702, Neha Apartments, Ashish Complex, Dahisar (East), Mumbai -400068.
1) The seats will be confirmed only against the advance amount on first come basis.
2) Once registered, the advance amount of Rs. 2000/- is strictly non-refunadable
3) Alcohol & Smoking is strictly prohibited on Nature India Tours
4) Plucking flowers or collecting specimens is strictly not allowed in our tours
5) Visit http://natureindia.ning.com/notes/Nature_India_Policies to read Nature India Policies.
Please reply to us, in case you need any clarifications …..
For any other queries we are available on 9869071091 / 9820455713 (Adesh) or 9930318665 / 9967518665 (Mandar) or email@example.com or visit our website
Click here to view some images from this amazing place…….
And some trip reports
Hope to see you for this wonderful trip
Thanks for your patience.
Adesh Shivkar & Mandar Khadilkar
Appreciate, Respect & Care for Nature